Afropunk 2017


My boyfriend Blake and I went to Afropunk. This is my 5th year going and our 3rd year going together. Our Day 1 outfits were inspired by Black Polynesians and Moana that came out this past year. My headpiece is a combination of Birds of Paradise, Red Ginger Root, Palm leaves, and grasses. I created it on a felt material and made it into a crown. I am also wearing a white cold- shoulder top that I ordered online from a Chinese shop. My distressed jeans I got from Forever 21, I added some extra holes in the pockets and ripped it a bit more. My necklace is either from Missguided.com or Nastygal.com, I honestly can not remember. My bracelet bangles are a gift from my boyfriend. I also wore a gold arm cuff. My shoes are light up sneakers on the bottom and I ordered them off of Ebay. My lipstick is Jeffree Star "Unicorn Blood."I have a tutorial on how I get ready for this look at: GRWM Afropunk 2017 | Get Ready With Me | DIY Outfit My boyfriend Blake's look is a crown that was initially a necklace. It is something I made for him for Christmas last year out of animal bones/teeth (shark tooth, human tooth, coyote teeth, muskrat jaws, tiger tooth, and some seashells.) His top is a top I bought him for Christmas a couple of years ago, he added assorted flowers and vines to it to create this look. His pants are some khaki green harem pants he ordered off eBay. His shoes are some greyish brown moccasins. 

On Day 2, my look was inspired by Game of Thrones lol. I wanted to be the one true Queen of the Unsullied! I am kidding. I saw the shoulder pad look on Pinterest, which looked way better than mine turned out but it was $400 and the guy who made them was booked up till 2019. So I made an attempt to make something similar. The look just kind of came together on its own, and The Queen of the Unsullied notion came later. I wore a tikki headpiece that I ordered off amazon. I also wore my gold arm cuff. I wore a red lip from Beauty Bakerie in the color "Mon Cherie." My top was a monokini bathing suit I ordered off Ebay. My maxi shirt has double slits and is from American Apparel. My shoes are some jelly sandals with spikes from eBay. I created my shoulder piece, which I also show the making of it in the link above. I used a felt material as the base and attached gold sequins to it into a shoulder padded shape. I also added spikes and chains to it. Blake's 2nd Day outfit was a King Tut vest from Jezebel & Toff. I wish we captured an image of the back of it because there's an embroidered King Tut on it with chains and sunglasses on its head. It is 3D and pretty cool. His pants are some African pants from an African shoppe in St.Marks. His shoes are some blue skulled Toms. The neck piece he wore is a sculpture he cut in half and made into a beaded necklace. The scarf he wore is my night-time headscarf to protect my hair lol. A last minute piece was my brother Brandon's girlfriend Amanda's belt, it had a bejeweled leopard on it. I joked that he looked like a modern version of The Warriors. Check out our vlog that we created of the whole event on our couple's Youtube channel: Afropunk 2017 Vlog Blake and I were featured in the Huffington Post, the New York Times, Daily News,  Essence magazine, along with many other publications which is very exciting.


























Comments